Sunday, December 16, 2012

Family Thoughts

Marti Dumas

Nic and our family have stayed extremely busy this year. I was released as primary president this summer and Nic was put in our bishopric. So any thoughts of moving have left. So we continue on in the condo. :)
Nic's business has seen lots of growth and has done some work for some major contractors in Utah, so he is getting some high profile customers! They are about ready to higher some employees which would be huge!
Haley is in second grade and taking violin, Laney and Tessa are 4 and doing preschool with miss mommy. In jan. Tess will be playing the viola and Laney the cello. So we will have a little trio.
I am at home with the girls but do a night and a sat morning doing hair.
We are all healthy and happy and looking forwarding to a new year!
Oh Haley had her 5 year check up and is "cancer free!"

Nancy Peterson

We enjoyed our first snow; beautiful, heavy flakes that lasted for three
days. I love it! It's soup and warm cookie weather!

Brittney and Ben are expecting daughter #3 in January, and I am training
with Rachel as a doula. Though I won't have the course completed by then, I
hope to have added some tools to my basic knowledge of home birth to assist.
This will be their second home birth if all goes well.

Julie is working two jobs. She serves at an upscale pizza restaurant in
Farmington where she is being considered for a managerial position (woot!),
and she also works at a start-up company during the day in North Salt Lake.
She is dating a really great guy, Josh Meacham (I call him Joshee), and he
is very sweet.

Colton is preparing to send in his mission papers, which he gets to do early
because of the change in age. He is looking forward to serving the Lord.
Colton is teaching ballroom dance to several groups: a local dance studio, a
charter school in Ogden, and several private lessons through the week. He
absolutely loves ballroom.

Mac is still working hard at the violin and is in a quintet. They are all
boys between the ages of 9 and 12 and they are very good. They play fiddle
tunes to the Telemaan Suite, surprising most of their audiences because of
their abilities. Mac is a brown belt in karate and is enjoying the Young
Men's program and scouting in general.

Henry is also a member of the string quintet. He's the "cool bass" and he
wears sunglasses at performances. He always has a rhythm going in his walk,
or his speech. Henry is a real artist and incorporates it into everything -
research, school, whatever. Henry just earned his Hunter's Safety patch on
the first try. He is excited to be a hunting buddy to Alan.

Lucy is also playing violin, but she loves sports and playing with her
friends. She loves to plan parties and have lots of friends over. Lucy was
baptized this month and fasted for the first time.

Alan is working on some cool film stuff. His most recent mini-documentary
got over 2 million hits in two weeks on You Tube. He is currently working on
a film for the Hole in the Rock foundation. With Henry as inspiration, he
has a renewed enthusiasm for hunting.

Me? Well, I am still being a
momandwifehomeschoolhygieneactressandsoontobedoula.
I think all that stuff should add up to be the equivalent of a PhD in
something, don't you?

We love you all and miss those we don't see very often. I think we should do
a reunion at Hole in the Rock or Bluff this summer.

Becky Wagnar


Yes, I agree it is time for an update! :)

The Wagner family are doing great!  Ted is 34, I am 30, Drake is 6, Lincoln is 4, Harrison is 16 months (countdown to nursery has started).  We have been staying busy with school activities.  Drake and Lincoln are not playing any sports  because we sign them up for something and then they never end up wanting to do it, so we are going to try piano or something next! :0  Harrison is growing like crazy.  He is very big for his age, which is great accept he always wants me to hold him (I have one arm that is stronger than the other  because of this).  Having 3 little boys is more work than I could of ever imagined and I often wonder how my mom did 7???  But I wouldn't change it for the world!  I just love being a mother!

Ted is staying busy with my dad doing flooring.  He is also a Sunday school teacher in our ward, and teaches the 16+ age kids.  He really enjoys his calling.
I am currently serving as the secretary in young women, and that is about all I can handle right now.

Other than that, I feel very blessed to have a wonderful family and husband.  

Love you all!

Mark Thomas

I am working on financing renewable energy projects for school districts and
cities in Utah. I am also a part time mortgage lender with FSI
Mortgage---helping people find financing for their home. Sunstone Foundation
has asked me to be part of a Christmas panel on the historical Jesus on
December 29 at the main Salt Lake City library. I am working on Dvorak's
American String Quartet with my string quartet.

Chris is still teaching Spanish at Rowland Hall. Working long hours.

We had a great summer garden including Japanese squash and heirloom
tomatoes. We have a cold frame garden this winter with kale, spinach and
swiss chard.

Other updates from people:

We were asked to fast for Vicki and many offered to join in our family.  Our prayers are with here.  Here's a rundown for those who missed it.  

From Marti: Vickie has multiple auto-immune disorders, and between the diseases and the medication she takes to control them, or to ease the pain, she has become very dependent for basic care.  Janice has been her main care-taker.  

From Janice: Marian, you summed it up perfectly.  Vickie does not eat much and what she does eat has to be controlled.  But, the thought is very much appreciated.  We actually live in a great ward that is very much involved and are there for her if meals are needed.  Visits are tricky since her health varies day-by-day.  Visits drain her quickly and she doesn't tolerate them very well energy wise.  

The fasting and prayers touched her greatly and she was touched that my family would do that for her.  That is really the best way to help.  
Thank you again for all the offers and hopefully with everyone's fasting and prayers she can have some relief in her life.

Note from Mark Thomas:

Dear Family,

This is a time of music for us. Last week, I played with my string quartet
at a violin recital for children. This neighborhood is packed with
violinists. There were about 30 children from the neighborhood that
participated. I played along, and my adult string quartet played a piece
from the Nutcracker and O Little Town of Bethlehem. It was fun to see even
the youngest children with only a few weeks of experience playing. One
little boy had a straw sticking up out of the F hole on top of his violin to
keep his bow from sliding off as he played. But the experience did not
detract from the spirit. It was wonderful. Even the scratching and sawing of
the youngest, revealed a simple beauty undiscovered in the subtleties and
expertise of the learned and skilled musicians.

Today before Church we will be practicing for the Christmas program. We are
playing selections for the Messiah. We have a small orchestra accompanying
the choir. Bruce Gundersen is conducting. I will be singing in some sections
and playing the viola in others.

Ann is coming in next week. She is a delight. I have attached a picture with
two young children she baby sits. Yes, she baby sits occasionally for old
friends even though she is 26. She is more like their aunt than a baby
sitter.

On a sadder note. The father of one of the 6 year olds that were killed in
Connecticut school massacre last week spoke on national news about his
wonderful daughter that lost her life in her first grade class. He and his
wife are from Utah. In his simple dignity, he described how his daughter lit
up every room, and saw the good in all. Before going to work, they practiced
Portuguese---she said in Portuguese "Good morning. How are you?" to her Dad.
He kissed her and went to work. That was their last conversation. He said he
did not know what to do but in a shaking voice he stated how blessed he felt
that he is her father---he used the presence tense, looking forward to that
day of their future reunion that we Mormons anticipate---since families are
forever. There is a sweet comfort that is typical in Mormon funerals, as you
know. I was proud of his quiet sorrow mixed with love and faith. In the
spirit of that sadness I will send a Portuguese Fado, a song of sadness, by
Cristina Branco.

Love,
Mark

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/13ba4922c206ba08

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and for sharing their lives with us all.  I think we have such a great family and you guys are all doing amazing things.  Real brief, on our side of things, I feel a bit like Nancy in that I am a homeschoolingdoulatrainingorganiaingcubscoutleadermomsisterwifedaughterlovinglovinglife:)  We are still having ups and downs with business, but my doula training courses(that Nancy mentioned) are going well and I love working with this population.  I have also brought all the kids home and have a love/hate/but know it's best for them relationship:)  I love to see them grow and create.  Brent is doing web design still as well as helping me with my expanding doula certification business.  Love to all and hope all have a Merry Christmas.  Feel free to e-mail me if you have news for everyone.  I love that we were able to connect for the fast.  Rachel

No comments: