Monday, October 17, 2011

Letter from Beth Young to Uncle Don Young in 1935

I just recently got a letter from my dad that had a transcribed letter from grandma Thomas to Uncle Don when she was 13 years old.  I enjoyed reading it and has it has reminded me of my own experiences with a growing testimony when I myself was 13.  In any case, here is the letter as well as an intro from Collette.



Dear Family;

When Paul and I were going through some of Uncle Don's things after his fall, we came upon an interesting letter that mom wrote to Uncle Don when he was on his mission in 1935. It is remarkable that Mom was only 13 yrs of age when she wrote this. She felt that this was a very significant letter and she instructed Uncle Don to keep it. It is to his credit that he did.
I will transcribe it for you since it is hard to read. Yes, she wrote it in red. Her handwriting looks very similar to her adult writing. It cost her 5 cents to send the letter to Stockholm, Sweden. It is postmarked Nov 19th, 1935 - smack in the middle of the Great Depression. The address she sent if from is 4222 Hol. Blvd. I guess she lived in Uncle Max's house at the time, but I didn't know that they changed addresses from back then. Mark may have more info from his research of the area. I left any typos.
Please pass this on to any that I may have neglected.
Love you all,
Collette



Nov. 15, 1935

My Dear Brother Don,

I wish you a happy birthday (the 13th of Nov.) and luck through out your years. You know this letter is not going to be like the one's I usualy write. This letter I wish you to keep.

You know I have just awakened from a deadened sleep which mostly every one dose. I have just been realizing purposes. I realize why we all have come to this earth for. It is a beautiful thing to look forward to isn't it Don. I have also (throught) realized a great importance which I and many other girls must abide by and that is being a sweet heart a wife, and mostly of these great things is motherhood. If your don't understand my explanations in what I am trying to express to you try to understand how wonderful the awakening of my Childhood has been to me. Everything has changed even myself. You know Don maybe it is too big for me to analize but you know that I am trying (to)express my gratitud for having been born. I could shout and cry both for it is a glorious world if you see it in the right way.
You know you may think it silly that I am looking forward to be a Young Lady and even maybe a mother and wife which to me would be the most wonderful that happened to me. I think if it wasn't for my parents I would not be grateful for my having been born. I also was glad that I had parents of the Latter Day Saint religion. I realize that thing more clearly than anything. My religion comes first in every thing. You know I have as much faith in my religion that even if I were to die if I were a Latter Day Saint I wouldn't deny the Gospel or God.
You know this is a Testimony to me and it has been my first testimony that is why I wish you to keep this little letter so that when you bring it back from Sweden I may look at it and feel that it was a very great testimony and that I may grow to be moral day by day that I may be fit to live in "Gods Kingdom" and that I may not feel grouchy and mean. I do slip in my actions sometimes and I try to keep in mind it wont be long before we are tested and a greatest test that we have ever had that we may enter our Glory.

Love,
Beth